Thursday, October 10, 2024

Satisfying

Maybe a week ago, I thought of an incident I had read about.  I was confident the description of that event was in that Ebel book.  A man named Stephen Leacock was at one time a leading humorous writer.  I first remembered his name as "Stephen Peacock" and I looked up that name but without any validation of what I remembered.  The Ebel book is rather old now but I ordered a print copy and the other day, it arrived in the mail.  The index showed "Stephen Leacock" and I looked up that name.  Yep, he is the one!


Leacock says that when he was in a Canadian university, he reported to a testing session where he picked up a copy of the test questions, took a seat at one of the desks and wrote answers to the questions.  Later, he was given his degree.  The trouble was that testing room was being used for several different exams and it turned out that he had mistakenly written for the wrong exam.  His answer was graded by the examiners so he was awarded a degree in a subject he had no courses in!


I am quite satisfied that I tracked down the right man and the incident I remembered.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby