Wednesday, October 2, 2024

There are so many patterns!

In high school, I thought about what sort of work I wanted to seek to make a living.  I thought counseling or some sort of work understanding and helping individuals would be interesting enough for a whole career.  I didn't know where I was going to get the money to get training and licensing.  My homeroom teacher and my guidance counselor both told me to go to college. I took their advice to mean investigate possibilities, which I had not done.  My mother advised me to look into the teachers college nearby.  When I found the very low cost of room, board and tuition (in exchange for two years teaching in the public schools), I could see my future.  


Once I got into teaching, I never left.  Additional licensing requirements sent me to graduate school and into a doctoral program in statistics, measurement and experimental design.  I enjoyed it very much.  By age 28, I had a PhD.  I settled on the University of Wisconsin and the UW campus at Stevens Point was looking for a person to replace a retiring faculty member.  37 years later, I retired.  


My mother was right.  Teaching is full of individualization.  Sometimes, when a student just sits in front of the teacher, the teacher can tell lots about that person's worldview and personality.  Sometimes it is something of a mystery and it may take more time and experience before the teacher gets some insight into that student's makeup.  This individuality is a big part of the "American dream" of a life of freedom and fun and fulfillment.  I think it is clear that communication, technology, travel and methods of teaching these days combine to make people more individualized than ever.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby