Friday, February 3, 2023

Living to what age?

She said she was 65 years old. I said,"You are just a kid." 


I don't want to say that someone 65 is young, but in contrast to someone who is 95, they are somewhat young.  I mentioned to her that we have a man in this area who is 110 or some such age. 


Some people say that everyone wants to live a long time but no one wants to get old.  I am a bit surprised when I think of the instruction I have had, that virtually none of it was about the latter times of life.  When are the latter times? Many sources have said that humans at one time lived to be about 40. One I just looked up said those figures applied in Europe from 1500 to 1800.  


I read years ago that Peter Drucker, a famous writer on business, said that 65 was too young to retire.  I didn't follow up to see what he meant but he might have meant something beyond what society needs.  


To me, it is instructive to watch what people say and the words they choose when describing heaven, wonderful times, etc.  I have noticed that "retirement" or "winning the lottery" are often described as release from work or duty, Certainly from drudgery.  At the same time, I see myself and others wanting purpose and satisfaction.  I want something to do that I respect and enjoy.  I don't need to be launched into extreme pleasure every minute and I do practice trying to recognize and appreciate blessings and sources of gratitude.


When I first heard of extensions of life beyond 90 years, I didn't pay much attention.  But now I am beginning to appreciate the impact: the need to possibly revise what is "old", the actual figure I will use to denote my reaching "old age", the increase in numbers of infirm and disabled people and other aspects I will come to see.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby