Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Larger and smaller

Our local paper is very thin.  It has advertisements, some local and state news and cartoons.  We continue to subscribe because it is good for a community to have a paper, as well, of course, as local tv and radio stations.  UWSP, a branch of the University of Wisconsin system, is located in our town and it has a local radio FM station.  It is well-known for its Trivia Contest, held to be the largest in the world.


I don't read much of the paper.  I note the subject of the main headline, which often has to do with other Wisconsin communities than ours.  But each day, I read through the comics in the Stevens Point Journal.  I am interested in the effect of all communication systems around us today.  The books "From Gutenberg to Google" and "What Hath God Wrought" have opened my eyes to the effect of communication on people, politics and awareness.  If you want a quick review of the history of Stevens Point, see the presentation my wife made for her master's degree:

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety2/link-to-reasons-for-st-point


I grew up in Baltimore, a metro area of nearly 3 million and I have lived in Point for fifty years, in a county of 70,000.  I am interested in the tone and the opportunities and life in two different sized American communities. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby