Wednesday, February 8, 2023

What am I like?

I am still thinking and preparing to talk about our unconscious minds in April.  I may re-read "Incognito" by Eagleman but lately I have been enjoying a slow careful re-reading of "Seven and a Half Lessons about Your Brain" by Prof. Lisa Feldman Barrett.  


Here's a search link to my blog posts about Barrett: t.ly/RWOg


In addition to the short, energetically worded book, she gives a link to a web site that summarizes her points: sevenandahalflessons.com


A person can review writing and other projects that he did sometime.  He can ask relatives, friends and those who know him what they perceive him to be like.  He can recall remarks others have said about him in the past.  A good source of information about a person is a marriage partner, but that partner has a personality and viewpoints and prejudices.  That partner and any source of information may be biased, slanted, out of date and/or incomplete.


I suspect that knowing oneself may be easier when one is older.  Then, I have more experience seeing myself behave and remembering things I have done.  It may be helpful to meditate, since that activity tends to increase self-knowledge. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby