Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Liquids and information

First, liquids.  I drink a cup of coffee every morning and another cup at lunch.  I have a glass of milk at breakfast or a bowl of cereal in milk.  At 10 AM, I have a cup of green tea, except on Wednesdays and Sundays. On those days, I have 8 oz of water with Starbucks instant coffee, either Columbia or Pikes Place.  I have a glass of water with dinner.  Lynn usually fixes us pint drinks of water during my reading aloud in the evening.  If I feel thirsty during the day or my urine is strongly colored, I have water, usually about .8 of a pint from my handy mug.  


I have read that as we age, becoming dehydrated is usually an increasing danger.  My wife's stepfather was once whisked to a hospital by helicopter for serious dehydration.  I think the problem is lessening sensitivity to thirst and the need for liquids.  Just writing about this makes me more aware of a feeling of thirst.  So, I am getting a drink of water. 


Second, information.  I am continually being told that Google captures my "information" and sells it.  I believe that is possible, but I doubt that it is very important for me.  It might be important for Microsoft or Apple but I don't have any indication that it is important for me.  I use Firefox browser fairly exclusively.  I don't have any of that stuff called "evidence" that Google, China, North Korea or those that hate me have been capturing data about me and selling it.  I remember Lycos, a pre-Google search engine, and how impressed I was with Google search when it first became available.  I and others wondered how the new company would make money and I guess there are two main ways: ads and the sale of information.  


I recommend Firefox but I can't prove that browser doesn't collect my information and sell it to people around the planet hungry to know what I do and where I do it.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby