Friday, February 18, 2022

Central European talent

Lynn started reading "Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead" by Olga Tokarczuk, a selection of her book club.  She really liked it and said I would, too.  She read a couple of snippets and they did sound good.  We have started "State of Terror" by Louise Penny and Hillary Clinton.  It isn't bad but is a bit too relentlessly "exciting" for me.  My sensitivity to throbbing excitement might be irritated by the Netflix show called "Jane, the Virgin".  It is a soap opera and a half, evidently called a "telenovela" in South America. 


Lynn said she would be ok with me reading "Plow" up to the point where she is, and then using that book as our reading-aloud book instead of the Penny/Clinton. The author of "Plow" won the Nobel Prize for literature in 2018 and is translated into English by Antonia Lloyd-Jones.  I have special respect for translators who offer me doors into places and people I couldn't be part of, except for their work.  Getting a little familiar with Olga Tokarczuk had reminded me of my respect for and enjoyment of some of the poems of Wislawa Szymborska. That Polish poetess won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1996.


Being aware of central European nations has also happened lately because the Slovenian ice hockey team defeated the US team.  The population of Slovenia is estimated to be about 2 million while that of the US is about 330 million.  I wanted to see some of the Slovenian celebrations and found this:

https://thecomeback.com/olympics/2022-beijing-olympics-hockey-slovakia-united-states-celebration.html

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby