Sunday, February 20, 2022

That reminds me

I tell an anecdote.  It is a good one and I can tell that it is.  The appreciative reaction gives me a lift and that files the story in my brain.  In another place and time, a good story is needed, you know, to counter the silence and fill the gaps.  Hey, how about that anecdote that is a good one and get appreciative responses before?


I tell it.  There are quite a few appreciative responses but some eye-rolling and some looking away.  Uh-o, I have told that story to many of those present before.  From the faces, I'm guessing some of those present have heard that story more than once.  How many times have I told it?  Can't rightly remember.


Quite a few of my friends are old guys, old enough to have many experiences and as a result, many good anecdotes in their heads.  From the relish that I think I see in their re-telling a story, I infer that it is good for the teller to re-tell a good anecdote.  You can hear in the speaker's voice, the pleasure in re-living the surprising, funny, memorable event.  I have found lately that just telling myself, usually without external vocalizations, an explanation, a plan, an intention ups my motivation and energy. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby