Thursday, February 24, 2022

Intensification practice

Meditation is often about seeing the moment, where and what I am here and now.  But sometimes, when I sit to observe and feel, a current problem or pain comes to mind.  I can usually tell if I can shove it under the rug and ignore it.  But if it is persistent and not one that can be helpfully thrown away. I sometimes try mentally to emphasize it, grow it, make it worse.  As soon as I put some imagination energy into enlarging the problem, all sorts of ridiculous pictures emerge.  


Sometimes, "life is suffering" is said to be a fundamental tenet in Buddhism.  Aspects of other religions also recognize suffering and its place in life.  My life has been pretty smooth and pleasant and I haven't had much suffering.  I do run into irritants several times on most days.  I try to throw a tissue into the trash but it sticks to my fingers long enough that my aim is spoiled.  The paper releases from my skin at just the time and angle it needs to sail quietly far under the table, landing in just the most troublesome spot.  


I wonder if I should practice immersing myself in the feeling of suffering I experience with that paper going the wrong way.  I have noticed that when I practice something, I get better at it.  If I try getting into the feeling of recognizing suffering, I may be able to accept it better. 


I also find that what is suffering at one minute turns out to be a positive gift in a way I could not have predicted.  The other day when I was beneath the table retrieving that errant paper, I was protected from the falling chandelier.  Well, I could have been.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby