Thursday, July 9, 2020

Egg cooker adventures

When I was in 8th grade, I sometimes made my own breakfast of three soft-boiled eggs.  Now that I am old, I eat two eggs for breakfast.  I have less capacity but I like eggs fried, hard-boiled, soft-boiled or scrambled.  Scrambled with spinach or mushrooms or leftover salmon is excellent.  


I like to touch base with new technologies in some areas now and then.  Lynn has told me about directions here and there for making hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel but I don't think I have improved on what I have always done.  I became aware of egg cookers, appliances devoted to just cooking eggs.  I even told Lynn that one of them would be a good Father's Day gift for me.  I have a reputation for being difficult to buy gifts for so Lynn was tickled to have a reasonable low-cost suggestion.  


Oops, I forgot I had given her a usable clue and ordered an egg cooker for myself well before Father's Day.  That move did not endear me to my wife!  I tried the little machine out and she did, too.  She knows more about all sorts of cooking than I do and she was soon giving me hints on using the cooker.  She is now scheduled to make a dish for a local homeless shelter.  It will be potato salad that includes sliced hard-boiled eggs.  The recipe for 40 people calls for 10 lbs. of potatoes and a dozen eggs.  The egg cooker makes 6 good hard boiled eggs at a time but they need to be punctured on the fat-end base to allow steam to escape.  


She tried puncturing them on the small end of the egg with the tool that comes with the cooker.  The eggs sit on their fat end and a puncture on top allows some white to be expelled, spoiling the perfect symmetry.  Be careful how you puncture!!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby