Friday, July 24, 2020

Too big to hear

The book by David Weinberger, Too Big to Know, is about the extent of internet messages, sources and subjects.  There are too many to know.  For an aging person, there are too many to remember, even after they have been "known".  I had a fun course with experienced teachers that aimed to recall all the books they had ever read.  Of course, no one can be sure at say, 45 or 50 years of age, that they can recall, remember, unearth, find or otherwise list the title of all the books they have read over a lifetime.


I have too many purchased Kindle books to read before I die.  That doesn't mean that I will refrain from buying a few more, if they are of interest and priced right.  I got a car that had a complicated sound system that I didn't take the time to learn.  So, I cut my listening to audiobooks way back.  There was no good time in the day to listen other than in the car.  Some of my audio purchases are Great Courses, consisting of many lectures.  I estimate that there is a good chance I won't get to them all.  


I do have two ears and two eyes.  Maybe somebody can engineer a device to show me a different book for each eye while two different Great Course lectures are played into each of my ears.  We both know my old tired limited brain can't handle that so forget about it.


When the national anthem is played at a sporting event, some people "take a knee", that is, kneel on one knee to protest their unfair and unpleasant experience because of their skin color or dress.  There are many sorts of snubs, microaggressions, nasty grimaces, and other upsetting putdowns that people experience every day for no good reason.  Taking a knee seems a simple, rather elegant way to state that one's life and treatment by others is unfair and in need of improvement.  


No matter how sympathetic I am to prejudice and poor manners and worse, I simply cannot take on all causes.  I can't make a meaningful contribution to all worthy charities.  I can't even express sympathy and support for them all.  Whether it's books, recordings or causes, I can do a better job with some discretion and some concentration on what matters to me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby