Wednesday, February 27, 2019

23 again

We sent our saliva to 23andMe, one of the firms that analyzes DNA and tells you what they found out.  We previously did the same thing with the National Geographic Society's Genographic Project. In fact, we had them check us out twice.  I am getting so familiar with my DNA that I could do my own analysis if I had the equipment and the knowledge.


The thing that stands out for me with this 23andMe experience is the apparently endless questions I can answer if I want.  Twice I have begun answering questions (Do you get shin splints? Does the sound of other people chewing enrage you?) and eventually I just had to stop.  There was no invitation to stop. I just had to move on to something else. I have no idea how long the process might go on. I am willing to answer some more and I may.  


The Genographic guys said on the second time they analyzed my spit that I showed 6% of my DNA was Neanderthal and 4% Denisovan (look it up if you are interested).  The 23andMe guys say my Neanderthal portion is less than 4%. They also say that I have more Neanderthal elements than 75% of the people tested. What that means I am not sure but maybe it explains my attraction to big wooden clubs.  They say that my Neanderthal stuff gives me higher odds that I have less hair on my back, and I do not have markers associated with lowered odds that I will sneeze after eating dark chocolate. Now, don't you wish you had spent a hundred or so to find out great stuff about yourself?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby