Sunday, February 10, 2019

Cooked my bacon

I am not a big bacon eater.  Over the last ten years or so, we have come to associate bacon with our growing greatgrandson.  He asserts that he loves bacon and has at least one t-shirt that attests to its importance and value.  Lynn thought she would make a dish that needed bacon as an ingredient so we had some on hand.


It is a tasty food and I am an amateur cook who likes the microwave.  If I remember to put no metal inside and be cautious about heating times, I can usually get foods and drinks to just the right temperature without burning them or having mishaps.  So, yesterday, I asked Lynn how to cook up some of the bacon we have on hand. She advised using a good-sized platter, lined with two layers of paper towels. Place the bacon strips on the paper and cover with a top layer of two paper towels.  I zapped it 1.5 minutes, checked it, gave it another 75 seconds and then another 75 seconds.


Lynn didn't want any but I cooked and ate three strips.  Despite lots of reading and thinking, I am still not clear on how good or bad bacon and fat are for me.  It was tasty, fun and easy so this morning, I asked her if she wanted some bacon. She, like me, is cautious about fatty food but she likes bacon, too, so she said yes.  I went through the cooking more quickly today and managed to fit four strips on the platter. I made up a tray with a glass of milk, a banana, the bacon and some grapes. I took it into the bedroom but she was afraid of making a mess in the bed.  We had our breakfast at the kitchen table.


Some sources say it was a big mistake for food people to concentrate on fat, allowing sugar to emerge as a source of obesity.  Some sources seem to continue to offer advice against fat. The food and food politics professor, Marion Nestle, tries to stay on top of what research results come from companies and organizations that seem to benefit financially from the research and are often the sponsors of the research.  Nestle quotes Michael Pollan, communication professor and author of several books about food. Pollan says "Eat food, not too much. Mostly from plants." I am not sure if that is the best advice for me. It may be but between fish, seafood, meat and milk, I am surprised at how often my meals include something animal.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby