Friday, February 15, 2019

ebook borrowing

Some people are naturally frugal and wait for their turn to borrow a book. I haven't been that patient and often buy an (e-)book if the price is right.  I noted the Apple and Android app "Libby" (but not Amazon) a couple of months ago. It stood out since I have a greatgranddaughter by that name. In our town, the public library loans ebooks.  They can be downloaded to a computer but the Libby app simplifies having a book transmitted through the air to a phone or a tablet. For a Kindle Fire, the Libby app must be installed without using the Amazon app store, which doesn't carry it.  You can see the internet for details.


It is true that many popular books have a long list of people waiting a chance to borrow and read those in high demand, in either paper or e-form.  However, as an old library user, I have often found that the latest greatest can wait and that tons of super excellent books that never got much attention or that don't attract many readers because of their subject are available, beyond the hype.  I do like a good story once in a while, but the world, science, history, mathematics, and fascinating insights and wonderful language are just waiting to be discovered in every corner of a library, any library.


A friend mentioned the Libby app enthusiastically.  I have had the app on my iPad for a month or so but I have so much to read that is truly excellent, I didn't give e-borrowing a thought.  I know that in some cases, popular books have dozens, even hundreds of patrons waiting to borrow them. But I found a button that shows what is immediately available now.  I looked in the history category and saw "When Breath Becomes Air", a book I noticed a while back. I borrowed it easily and quickly sitting right here.


I mostly just wanted to go through the process and actually get a book.  I got it and started reading. The book seems related to "Why Religion" by Elaine Pagels, professor of religion at Princeton.  Both books deal with medical diagnoses of coming death, one of a toddler and one of a neurosurgeon.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby