Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hand grasping

Our local paper is running a series of articles on teens having mental troubles.  Whether you are a teen or some other age, mental troubles can be a bothersome problem.  Besides the big four of mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder. obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression), there are moods, and very nasty situations like war, crime and social problems large and small.

I suspect that parts of our minds sometimes just don't want to be in a good mood, just don't want to recognize treasures and pleasures and happiness around us.  That is the time and place when and where I say,"Damnit!  Don't cheer me up!  I have gotten into a warm, isolated, well-defended place of sulky darkness and I don't want any damned love or affection shining in."


There are actually so many miracles and genuine blessings that it can really be tiring to dredge them up. And why should I, just when a nice black mood has arrived?  I don't mind a little patient indulging of a grump now and then.  I don't like to be frantic about tossing such moods out on their ear prematurely.  But I have a symbol that I find compelling and human to remind me that, like it or not, I am a miracle. It is a hand in motion:

IMG_0696.JPG

Not anything all that dramatic.  Not stressing or straining.  Just a hand doing what I want it to do.  I want it to close and it does.  I want it to open and it does.  Total WOW!


Could be my vision.  Could be a breath I take or a breath I hold.  Could be my voice or my heartbeat.  I don't completely understand any of that but I know I am a walking miracle.  Good to think about.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby