Saturday, September 5, 2015

Searching

One of my very favorite movies is "In the Spirit" starring Marlo Thomas, Elaine May, Peter Falk and Elaine May's daughter, Jeannie Berlin.  Berlin also wrote the script.  Part of the reason it is such a good movie, in my not-humble opinion, is that Berlin throws in very off-color sex references and ideas as though they are part of everyday conversation.  I have been looking for a copy of the original film for a couple of years.  I have access to an edited version but all the fun was edited out of it.


I am preparing in a fairly disorganized way for a talk in late September on TED talks, Great Courses and YouTube.  All three are sources of information and education but of the three, YouTube is the biggest, messiest, most sprawling, most complete and wide-ranging collection.


I like Google for searching.  I use it all the time and I am a big fan of what I consider direct searching.  If I want to know the capital of Zimbabwe, I search for "capital of Zimbabwe", and get it directly and immediately, most of the time.  I know that in school, I learned to find an atlas, find a map of Africa, locate Zimbabwe and look for the capital city.  But in today's online world, it is faster and fun to just ask off the cuff for the odd bit one actually wants.  So satisfying when you get it.  This is the lesson of David Weinberger's book "Everything is Miscellaneous".


I searched for ways to see, stream or buy a DVD of "In the Spirit" using Google, Duckduckgo and the new Microsoft Edge browser with the Bing search but I haven't made any progress. I did write to the company who made the movie but received no reply.  I also searched for the highly and minutely edited film that demonstrates the weird possibilities for such editing.  I found it quickly with Duckduckgo.  It is called A Fair(y) Use Tale and was made by Prof. Eric Faden of Bucknell University.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby