Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Can I please have it all?

In college, I read the great essay by J.B. Priestley, "Not Going", in which he discusses the change in himself.  In youth, to know that there was an exciting event or party going on to which he was not invited was torture.  In older years, Not Going was delightful.


I have had both feelings but I still find, at a reasonably advanced age, that there are all sorts of excitement or talk of excitement that arouse my greed to be part of everything good.  I can see that our nervous systems are built to keep track of the social events of a band, a group, a tribe, maybe a small village.  But in today's connected world, where I learn of stabbings by dissidents in remote parts of China before the blood has dried, there are all sorts of activities and adventures and discussions and deliberation that go right over my head.  How can the Greeks make a decision on being part of the European Union without my input?  How can all those freshmen move into the dorms without me there to cheer them on?  Great shows open on Broadway at the same time different shows open to excited crowds in London.  Terrific views of whales breaching in the Pacific happen at the same time the local high school has a crucial football game.


I enjoyed the musical "Stop the World! I Want to Get Off!" and I feel that something needs to be done for itchy senior citizens like me.  I paid my taxes and we give to charity. I am a citizen in good standing.  Can't somebody do something to cut down on simultaneous great things that can't all be attended and aren't even taped?

It hurts to think of all the great concerts I am missing, all the great tv, all the fabulous books I am not reading, haven't even heard about.  It seems that every other day, I learn of another fabulous event or experience.  I already have a fairly crammed calendar. I have retired from working to free more hours. 


What more can I do? Equanimity?  Calm acceptance?  Later, ok?  Right now, I have to rush off!



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby