Thursday, August 27, 2015

Complaints

I guess the evidence is clear: positive thinking is better for a person's health and friendships than negative thinking.  Still, once in a while I have complaints.


I don't have a smartphone and I don't use my cellphone much.  So, I don't get really important calls on it.  I am still of the opinion that getting a phone call is more or less a private thing.  I don't approve of people answering their phone in public and holding a conversation in a place and in a way that I am a part of it.  I want people to step outside, much like lighting a cigarette, or into a hallway or otherwise get away from the group and the public and me while discussing when Uncle Harry is going to land and who is going to pick him up.


I get newsletters from quite a few sources and many of the items use "c'mon on" headlines, equivalent to but not quite as dumb as "New treatment for beautiful skin from an everyday vegetable".  The titles are written as c'mon-ons, almost always a sign that the author didn't really have much to say.  I suppose some departments get credit for clicks and people opening an item.  Generally, if you have something to say, I recommend saying it, not telling me that you are going say something real important in a sentence or two, or on the next page. I suppose somebody has data supporting the idea that if I get you to click onto my web page, the extra ads on it will tempt you into spending money.  Firefox, and I guess the new Microsoft Edge, have features that seem to be doing a pretty good job blocking the extraneous stuff, ads, and attempts at enticements so that I can read a post with less distraction.  


Finally, I am irritated with some soundtracks in some tv shows and movies.  I suppose it might be possible electronically to keep the speech but kill or strongly depress the music.  Some sound tracks go on and on in what I take to be an attempt to set a mood but do so with perfectly ordinary scenery of a type that the viewer saw plenty of a minute ago, when things were not supposed to be scary.  When things are at a fever pitch, some films have the sound track playing at a high volume right while actors are speaking their lines.  Seems dumb to me.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby