Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Making a list

I made this list of some good nonfiction books last night.  It bugs me that I have the titles and authors in many devices and yet getting a copy of what I want in electronic, transmittable form is fairly troublesome.  The list is for a class that is meeting one time to discuss some good nonfiction, the main purpose being to acquaint each other with some good reads.  The usual practice is to have a handout on paper of the high points of what the session will be about.  The page has been printed off in 60 copies for under $15 on bright yellow paper, one sheet printed on both sides.


I considered just having the list on an iPad and reading off the titles.  The titles can be shown in one of two formats: list or grid.  The list form is more readable but the grid shows more books at a time and shows the book jacket (cover) art.  I give book jacket art respect.  My greatgrandson successfully discriminated between what he did and did not want to watch without being able to read.  The cover art on a tv cassette tape or a DVD communicated pretty accurately to him.  In general, artists know what they are doing.


I tried deleting the Kindle app from my iPad after finding the grid view sometimes hid the author or title too much or made them too small and discovering the list view was not available inside a collection (about the same as a folder).  I was not happy to get a message that the attempt to reload the books failed for "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor.  It failed because I had reached the limit of permitted downloads for that book and could clear a device, deregister it, re-register it and download the book or I could purchase another copy.  It is a very, very good book but I was very surprised that I had bought a copy but could get it.  I have never heard to reaching the limit of the license and I have been using Amazon ebooks for 6 years.


Of course, I was a classic case of not thinking about that book at all until I was told I couldn't get it.  I found it on two of our devices, I have already read it but now, I just might read it again.  I will probably get more attracted to other activities before that happens but you never know.  I don't.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby