Friday, December 5, 2014

Good nonfiction

A week from today, I am scheduled to give a talk on good books of nonfiction.  I purposely picked nonfiction since I guess most literature that remains popular is fiction.  Certainly, some history, philosophy and mathematics does, too, but often a good story from the times of Dickens or the early 1900's is still relevant and interesting today.


When I saw the New York Times has a list of good books in non-fiction (as well as fiction), I was interested.  Looking at the brief descriptions, I was surprised at how much more optimism I felt from the non-fiction than from the fiction.  It may be my personality or my distaste for gloom.  I realize that it is not fashionable to write a sunny story.  It is also difficult to do.  Much like writing about boredom, it is easy to be superficial or trite when describing happiness, good times, comfort and pleasant things.  When writing about war or mistreatment or disaster, it is easier to stir our fear, our memories of challenges or threats.  Few people want to write a story that fails to sell.  So, better aim at deep emotions of grief or rage with maybe a little bit of uplift at the end. Some book clubs for older adults also have difficulty finding stories to read that are not depressing or sad.


I realize there are plenty of troubles in the world, that we are all aging and using up our limited supply of days.  All the more reason, in my view, that we should have the arts assist us in noticing beauty and blessings.


I note that there are over 100 comments about the list but I didn't read them all. The first couple are about the lack of publishers on the list and the whole list being from the usual major New York publishers.


These days, it is easy to find recommendations and suggestions but most of them are mechanically produced by algorithms.  It appears to me that most of the algorithms run out and find other books of a similar nature to one that is known to have been recently read.  Once in a while, I am in the mood to read another of a similar type to what I just read.  But usually, I want a big change in topics and type for my next read. From fiction to nonfiction and back.  This is the age of the very great expansion of communication of many forms.  As David Weinberger says in his book, "Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now that the Facts Aren't the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere and The Smartest Guy in the Room is the Room", there is too much going on to corral it all, even to explore it all.  So, to my mind, that means we are in a perfect time and place to look for what we want in reading.


I still find that personal advocacy by someone who has read all or part of a book is a powerful motivator.  If you like a book or it really gave you a lift or new insight, it can be difficult to say that without spouting superlatives.  We know you love it since you read it and then choose it to recommend.  Try to give us examples of what it said and what that language and ideas did for you.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby