Friday, November 28, 2014

Early morning at Greatgrandmother's house

You may be like me.  I only met my greatgrandmother a few times and I was quite young, maybe 4 years old.  But things have changed lately.  You may realize that being a parent is your responsibility.  If you become a parent, you are involved, quite closely.  But other people make you a grandparent or a greatgrandparent.  You can be sitting in front of the fire knitting and Boom!  Somebody makes you into a grandparent, without your knowledge or permission, without your presence even.


You probably have sung the song that says "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house, we go."  Here in the north, we have a river and woods and snow.  People will be coming here to grandmother's house but things have changed.  Our wi-fi is beaming a signal through the house.  The stove just beeped that it was as hot as Lynn had set it to be.  We have been in touch with several friends by Facebook and email before breakfast.  

The greatgrandparents had a banana each and protein bars for breakfast, instead of bacon and eggs and biscuits and butter.  Ok, I did have a whole wheat bagel with light butter.  That is butter mixed with canola oil. 


I keep YouTube at the ready for all our information needs not covered by the Google (or Bing backup) search page.  I thought I would elicit nostalgia by playing a YouTube version of Over the River and Through the Woods from the past.  I found Danny Kaye and the Andrews sisters by the same method my 14 year old jr. high greatgrandson uses: put in a few words and let the software suggest what you are after.  That way, you don't need to spell or type but just select.  I selected and began playing the song.  Immediately, my musician wife (voice, choir, French horn, trombone, piano) said,"Oh, yuck!"  I snapped it off, not wanting to implant an undesired earworm.  She said,"That was a good song, once.  But it has been so overdone."


Things have changed lately.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby