Monday, December 1, 2014

Chasing Ludwig through his 6th

I have read lately that smarter work with one's own emotions involves seeing them a little externally, recognizing them for what they are, often self-protective urges that a primitive force sends out.  The idea is that one's emotions happen more or less without thought and that having the impulse to think you are totally marvelous or totally rotten is just an impulse.  It is what I do with the impulse after I feel it that matters.  I can recognize it as jealousy or fear or pride and mention it or note it in my head or my diary.  I can send you a note mentioning that you are on my mind and that I would like you to return my electric drill or whatever is probably behind the emotional push.


Between "The Universal Sense" by Dr. Seth Horowitz and "Healing at the Speed of Sound" by Campbell and Doman, I have focused on the idea of being affected by sound.  The sleep app "Sleep Genius" uses sound and melody to lull me to sleep.  When I listen to Luciano Pavarotti sing an aria, I find myself "singing" in my head just like he does.  When I listen to a Strauss waltz, I get in a good mood.  When I do kitchen tasks, I often listen to some classical music.  I have a stack of CD's by the kitchen radio/player.


Yesterday, I purposely chose something I hadn't listened to for quite a while.  I have read that of Ludwig's 9 symphonies, the even-numbered 2,4,6 and 8 are the "cheerful" ones.  Well, you know Ludwig.  He can be playful and he is cheerful at times but don't expect a lot of slap-your-thigh belly laughs.  I spotted the disc for the 6th symphony and realized it was just the ticket.  I listened to it and found that yes, the old grooves are still in my brain.  I know where the music is going before it goes there.  The tones, the melodies, the harmonies, the teamwork between instruments - it's like visiting a beloved town and seeing all the old places I like.


You may listen to Pandora or another music service but don't forget YouTube.  I read recently that YouTube is a fine source for music and it is true.  Just about any piece you want to hear is on there somewhere.  Just put YouTube in Google to find it or go directly to www.youtube.com.  There is a YouTube search window powered by Google who owns the service and it works very well.  For Ludwig's 6th, you can just click here.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby