Thursday, April 10, 2014

Amazon TV and new TED talks

You already know that if you write something in Word but don’t save it, it disappears.  That is basically what happens with streaming.  If you stream something, you can see it but after it is over, you don’t have a copy, just like a live tv or radio show.  If you have a Netflix account, you can watch Netflix movies on your computer.  If you have a streamer, like Roku, you can have the signal stream travel from your streamer into your tv and see the movie on one of your tv’s.


Maybe you have heard that Amazon has just begun selling a streamer of its own.  It is being called Amazon Fire TV.  We have been using a Roku player, available from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and others for a couple of years now so naturally, we compare the Amazon streamer to the Roku.  So far, the Roku seems as good or better.  But we’ll see.

I am surprised that TED talks aren’t any easier to install on my Amazon streamer than they are and that the TED “channel” on the Roku lacks a search tool.  These days, such a tool is often represented by a simply drawn magnifying glass.  If you go to TED talks on your computer, the web site has good search capabilities. Similarly, the TED app for iPad has a fine search tool.


TED talks are non-commercial and can be on any topic.  A gripping TED Talk I have seen in the last few days are Diana Nyad, the 64 year old woman who swam 90+ miles of ocean between Cuba and Florida.  Very inspiring although I certainly wouldn’t try that.  Brian Greene makes as clear as anyone I have watched or read why some astronomers and cosmologists are saying the evidence is that our universe is one among many.


I recently sent this list to a friend.  I think they are all excellent TED talks.

Ernesto Sirolli

Sugata Mitra

Carin Bondar

Diana Nyad

Jill Bolte Taylor

I have sometimes watched a few too many in a row, to the point, that I simply can’t be inspired any more for a while.  Just like this guy who overdosed on TED talks.


(I have been having more bounces lately, all associated with SpamCop.  If I get quite a few, I will resend from another account or without the links, which sometimes satisfies the spam filters.)



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby