Friday, July 16, 2010

To the humanities and their supporters

I dedicate today's blog to my friend Professor Judy Geiser who once gave me a short but spirited lecture on the fundamentality of human thought in all its forms.  As she surrounded my meager statements with perfectly placed objections, clarifications and extensions, I realized at the moment that I was hearing an explanation of the place of the humanities in our lives.  She may well have forgotten the incident but I haven't. 

Actually, many of my friends are respectful and appreciative of the value of the humanities.  Any teacher, principal or professor of elementary education knows the power of literature, story and good language, both spoken and written.  Even though the humanities relates to all our lives, today we have good reason to stay alert to the sciences and arts, too.  But all human thought and emotion is important when we pause to think about it.  Of course, professors of English and all other languages lead the pack of supporters.

As I read through the post linked below, I thought of all the appreciators of humans and humanities in today's increasingly unified world.

Here is a worthwhile post
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/our-commitment-to-digital-humanities.html

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby