Sunday, December 27, 2020

Gut, hunch, intuition

Gut, hunch, intuition


Reading "Incognito" and many other books about our unconscious minds, I can see why it makes sense to take note of my feelings and hunches.  I may be aware of something without having paid much attention that I am aware.  I guess if you sneak up behind and say "Boo!" and I jump, it is partly because I had assumed nobody was back there, even though I didn't pay attention to my assuming.


Whether I talk to somebody about feelings, or I write or paint about them, theorists often note that making the effort to describe internal feelings helps to give me a little space between them and me.  Deciding what colors or symbols or shapes represent a fear or a hope helps me think about what's going on inside a little objectively.  The tv series on Amazon Prime and on Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is mostly about being persuaded by words and pictures to be for or against some cause or group.  It is true that we have built-in triggers for wanting something or fearing something but it can also be valuable and fun to be somewhat in touch with feelings and fears.  To be aware of myself, with a little distance to give me a chance to decide if I really want to eat another candy, can lead to better harmony between me and myself.


I like to ask myself what has been important to me over the last day.  I am in the habit of doing a little reading and watching some fiction on tv.  That habit can create images that are more memorable than putting on my shoes this morning.  So, I can't really do a complete review of a day or even an hour for that matter.  Still, trying to recall any peaks and valleys in the last 24 hours does turn up some things.  I talked to a couple of friends on the phone and I saw family members when they visited.  Just like when I look out the window, moving snow or flying birds are more interesting than weeds and stones, people also move and express themselves.  What moves matters.  


I don't make a definite decision about what or who matters but I keep trying to see what comes to mind when I ask myself what's up.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby