Friday, December 18, 2020

Remember that time?

Between Alzheimer's and dementia, we have all heard of memory failure.  As has happened in many parts of my life, I got an early start.  I have been able and willing to remember many things but I have had sharp memory and alertness failures, too.  


It was in the 4th or 5th grade (I can't actually remember which), that I walked to the shoe repair shop only to arrive with just one of the pair I started out with.  That went over real big with my parents.  But, I have forgotten all about that now.  


You may have heard of memory tests of remembering three words:

https://bit.ly/3mwSg74


I just saw a note that said a person remembered the words of the test by totally concentrating on them and repeating them silently until asked for them.  I have been wondering how it would go over if I whipped out a pen and said,"Mind if I just jot them down?"  I do that sort of thing for myself all the time with phone numbers or long names.  


Many of my friends and acquaintances say they fear memory loss.  I can understand that loss would be no fun but it is also true that forgetting can be quite valuable and helpful.  I have read that a major factor is oldsters being unable to think of a word or name that they used to know and feel like they know now but can't recall is that they have so much already remembered. And, of course, there is the aspect of traumatic experience or something considered shameful of being unable to forget.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=value+of+forgetting


The current issue of Time includes a page of new terms being used, most of which relate to current politics or the virus situation.  One word is "blursday", the name of the current day of the week when you can't remember which day it is.  We use our phones, tablets and the front page of the paper we just brought in to check.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby