Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princessing

The Netflix series "The Crown" has reminded me of the story of Diana and Charles.  The entire series has had me thanking Everything That Matters that I was not born into any royal family.  Episode 3 of season 4 has me doubly thankful.  The show has alerted me to princesshood and its pros and cons.  Then, along came Hayley Zablotsky, a writer for Narratively, with an article called "Secret Life of a Children's Party Princess".


I was a little boy but I have never been a little girl.  As I understand things, little boys tend to admire champion swordfighters and battle winners.  I gather that little girls are not likely to be interested in sword play or victory on the battlefield.  When I was even dumber and more ignorant than I am, I assumed that competition and jostling was more of a male thing but as episode 3 of The Crown season 4, there can be very serious and determined competition between girls for place, honor and victory.


As I have looked into princesshood a little bit, I was surprised at the dominance of Disney.  I gather that many young girls have learned the basics of princessing from Disney animations.  The article linked above includes a brief exchange between the young woman acting as a princess and a young girl checking out the woman's credentials.  The exchange makes clear that princes will normally be expected to be equestrians and to have beautiful horses that have interesting and attractive names.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby