Saturday, December 5, 2020

Efforts to enrich

I get various newsletters.  The Pew and Brookings organizations have several.  Today, I was looking at this one:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2020/12/02/over-1-billion-people-live-in-poverty-hotspots/


It includes a world map of poverty spots around the globe.  That map reminded me of the comments for and against capitalism that I hear from time to time.  The subject reminded me of the sneers and jibes I have heard about everything having a price and being for sale. 


The article says that the authors and others use the cutoff line of $1025 in 2015 for a definition of poverty.  I think I am probably living in the country with more junk and useless stuff and bad idea deals to spend money on than any other place on the globe.  It makes sense at Christmas time, pandemic or not, to think about what creates joy, happiness and comfort and what purports to do so but doesn't really.  


It does seem to me that some things that money and enterprise furnish matter to human happiness, safety and comfort.  The life I live as an older person rests on many things, such as

  • Clean water

  • Clean air

  • Medical care

  • Transportation: fuel, useable roads

  • Books

  • Good internet signal

  • Television streaming

  • Well stocked grocery stores with prices I can afford

  • Reasonable peace and quiet

Each of these items and probably others I forgot about require invention, maintenance, care and guarding against forces and factors that undermine or destroy them.


Yes, in today's capitalist world, some people are on the outlook for a new product or service that can be offered for money or credit.  And yes, we can say what a shame it is that so many things depend on money.  On the other hand, when you think of a product or a script or a game or service that is liked, is in demand, that people buy, you are helping many people. Several elementary economics books explain the value for everyone of your good ideas, your popular products, your employment opportunities, even your competition with others that advances our thinking and challenges others.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby