Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Choosing happiness

"Incognito" alerted me to the many parts of myself that are not available to my mind. Having read other books about the unconscious, I realize that when speaking or writing, there are aspects of the processes of word choice and expression that happen without deliberate choice.  The US is approaching a national election so choice and support and opposition are in the air. A person can list what he likes and dislikes about a particular candidate but it seems to me that the process of choice is loaded with emotion and gambles.  

I ran across the book by Lisa Feldman Barrett called "How Emotions Are Made."  The subject reminds me of the book "Thinking: Fast and Slow" by Kahneman. I also like the ideas expressed by Chade-Meng Tan in his "Joy on Demand".  Using meditation and practicing examination of my thoughts and feelings seems to give me more control over my emotions, more ability to accept or reject feelings.  As I read some of the Barrett book, I used my habit of looking the author up to learn more about her and her work: where she works, what she does and what other books she has written. Looking her up led me to a TED talk by her:

I think it would be unwise and uncomfortable to be joyful all the time.  However, observing oneself, one's thoughts and most importantly, the focus of one's attention can no doubt go a long way to supply the tools and habits that enable a good mood under a wide range of circumstances.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby