Tuesday, April 2, 2019

New methods in the weight room

The weight room on campus got rid of the hip aduction machine.

Some years ago, Lynn was told by a weight room attendant that machine did nothing and could be skipped.  We both suspected that advice since some weight machine company bothers to make and sell them. Anything to do with legs and thighs is of interest to me and I used the machine regularly.  


I was surprised to find it missing after the university's spring break.  The manager told me I could attach a cuff to my ankle and pull the cable at any weight.  Then, turn around and stretch the leg out to the side and pull it in. It felt good and promising.


Then, I realized that my left knee and calf would not do well with special strain on that knee, which had surgery long ago.  Today, I found a harness that will fit my thigh just above the knee and it all works. It is fun and enlivening to find new ways to work out.  The cable machines allow more free movement and I have heard that it is good for muscles and limbs to be challenged to develop stabilizing strength when using them.  Today, as I lifted in an overhead motion, my arms trembled mightily. I could lift but I could not avoid trembling and vibrating.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby