Friday, April 5, 2019

Reading, predicted reading time and my buzzing mind

When I get a new Kindle book downloaded, it comes with a file that includes the predicted reading time needed to read the book.  That prediction is out-of-date for me. The file says that typically this book gets read in 8 hours and 16 minutes. I can just picture a reader sitting down at 9 in the morning and reading the last word at 5:16 PM.  But that reader is not me.


I read two sentences, maybe four, and I get an idea.  Is this author alive now? Where did the author go to school?  What else has this author written? I reach for my computer keyboard and search.  Suddenly, I get another idea, one that clearly could serve as the focus of a post on my blog.  Better get a clean sheet of paper, head it with the date and make of note of the prompt idea. Who knows how long it will be before I get back to the next sentence in the book?


I almost always read on the Kindle.  Lately, I have been concentrating on the book "The Hungry Brain" about human tendencies to seek, remember and enjoy, crave even, foods with sugar, fat, salt and the tastes of meat.  It seems that we have an epidemic of obesity in this country and other countries are starting to have the problem, too. Ok, I am reading along and the author, Stephan Guyenet, mentions Dr. David Kessler's book, "The End of Overeating."  Another diversion: is that Kessler book available on Kindle? Will I get to reading it soon? Yes? Is the price ok? Yes? Download it. Do so for sure if the book is on sale. Too expensive or not in Kindle form? Add it to the wish list.  Check to see if the local library or the campus library has a copy. If not, request it to be borrowed from one of the dozens of connected libraries in the Midwest.


Meanwhile, interesting facts or valuable sentences to remember and note get highlighted by my fingertip.  Each highlight can have a note connected to it, explaining or commenting. The highlights and notes can be sent in a single file to my email.  The email includes a PDF and a file that can be opened by Excel or Google Sheets. If I am impressed by the book, I may want to make a web page on my Kirbyvariety site of the notes.  I may think of a relative or friend that would enjoy the book and I may take time to send an e-copy to them.


A good author telling a good story or explaining helpful information may cause me to stop and ponder many times.  I have read, in the usual sense of "reading" 25% of the book (the Kindle keeps track) and I have made 24 comments.  See why the typical time prediction can be quite wrong?


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby