Thursday, June 18, 2015

The future is a good place to play and fantasize

In the future, pigs will fly.  Well, shipments of them are probably flying now in airplanes.  No, I mean, pigs will develop wings and be able to fly under their own power.


If you are a cautious user of words about the future, you might ask "When?"  When will pigs fly?  Many predictions are made without a date or termination point.  All statements are about the past, the present or the future.  Of these three times, the future is the easiest to shoot the bull about.  I can make all sorts of crazy statements about what is going to happen at some unspecified time.  If I use my imagination or hire some good imaginations, I may be able to spout language that really gets you frightened or hopeful.  You may spend the rest of the day or the whole week thinking about pigs flying, or the stock market rising or collapsing.  If you ask for more detailed information, I can plead the difficulties of specific predictions while maintaining a serious expression.  I can explain that the exact development isn't clear but that pigs will fly "soon".  "This development will take place soon, very soon."


I may be right.  Just because I act confident and you have faith in my honesty and knowledge about pig aviation doesn't guarantee that I am wrong or kidding.  You really should give me some credence since you have already lived through the past and you can see that pigs are not flying above you right now.  Therefore, the only time left for porcine flight is the future.  The future is the only time you are going to have to be on flying pig alert.

 

If my pig flight predictions get to be yesterday's news and people stop paying attention to my statements, I will look for something more arresting, more exciting, more arousing.  I don't have the budget just now for much of a parade and hullabaloo.  I can't interest the local cheerleaders and marching bands to accompany banners with images of winged sows and boars.  I crave attention and the power and respect that goes with it.  When you get tired of hearing about pork in the sky, I will need a more gripping prediction, maybe something about Putin or bacteria or robots.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby