Sunday, June 14, 2015

Questioning and Critical Thinking

Teachers and other educators often aim for students to think critically and to question things for themselves.  However, as with many things, the Greeks had a good idea when they stressed moderation.  Too much critical thinking can lead to cynicism, doubt that undermines energy and tiring instability of purpose and action.  One professor I had liked to talk about "analysis paralysis".


Working with a group of hypercritical students, such as some adolescents, armed with questions and scepticism, can quickly show the difficulties of striking a balance between asking for reasons or evidence and going too far in doubting for the sake of doubting.  With both teens and adults, it is not unknown to work at putting off a unappealing task with an unending series of alternative suggestions and inquiries as to need and justification.


I even find the problem of high levels of questioning in myself.  I don't want my body weight to get too high.  I am short and I want to avoid being cubic.  I am older and my body burns fewer calories while my tongue and sensors continue to relish all sorts of food.  In fact, as my knowledge of foods and cooking increases, there are more foods to add to the large assortment I already desire.  This is an internal wrestling match that happens several times a day.


I sit down to a breakfast of a mixture of uncooked oatmeal, natural unsweetened applesauce and Greek yogurt.  It has seemed to me that foods with more protein keep me satisfied longer but am I remembering that effect correctly?  The nutrition panel on the yogurt container gives protein figures that don't match the information on our other Greek yogurt container.  Are the figures correct?  Maybe they are cooked or fraudulent. Does protein from dairy products do as much good as protein from soy?


It only takes a second for questions to cascade into mind.  I soon have questions about my questions.  I know that human knowledge is limited on many important subjects.  It is very difficult to separate what is known from what is being promoted by special interests and pushed by Grandma who still remembers what her grandmother used to tell her.  Maybe I would have been better off if my parents had created a kid who didn't have a knack for questioning, somebody who learned one version of the facts and just kept them close to his heart, no questions asked.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby