Wednesday, June 11, 2014

squashed by cooked trees

Every two damned weeks!  For the rest of my life!  Give me a dad-blamed break! - One in ten communications is important but nine in ten are not welcome.  My shredder is a help but it is boring to sit beside it for half an hour every day at mail time.

I can tell my software that something is trash and I don't want it.  I can tell it that the sender is no longer welcome in my inbox and that anything from that sender should be immediately deleted.  I wish I could do the same thing with my US Postal mailbox.

Whenever I get overly impatient with all the ads and pleas for money and the outlandish claims of wonderful products, I remember that those messages are peoples' lives, trying to make a dollar.  Sometimes that helps me feel a little more tolerant.  Often it doesn't work. I have read that something like 90% of the million or so emails that come into the local campus are spam.  I have not read how much it profits people from big or little businesses to advertise on paper.  I think the practice is reputed to be helpful but I am always on the outlook for better ways to control the stream of paper we don't want.

The book "How to Get Control of Your Life and Time" advocates dealing with paper as it arrives at my desk.  The author prescribes a quick decision: keep or toss.  "Toss" goes to the trash/shred bin and "keep" goes to a box or drawer.  He advocates not going to near the drawer unless really necessary.  What about when that drawer gets full?  Move it all to the same bin!  Works pretty well. I empty the drawer every two weeks, in anticipation of dusting.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby