Monday, May 30, 2011

Recent reading

Books we have recently finished:
  • How Starbucks Saved My Life - Gill
  • 12 Steps to A Compassionate Life - Karen Armstrong
  • The Saturday Night Big Tent Wedding Party - McCall Smith (audio book)
  •  One Was A Soldier - Spence-Fleming
  • Old Filth - Gardam
  • Dreaming: A Very Short Introduction - Hobson

There are many other books that I read sporadically.  Among the best are still "Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error" by Kathryn Shultz and "The Secret Life of Dust" by Hannah Holmes.  "Being Wrong" has intriguing twists and turns and lives up to the early statement that being wrong is more interesting, offers more personal insight into yourself, and shows a lot about how our belief systems actually work.  "Dust" is amazing.  Not only are we ourselves going from beginning in dust to ending in dust but so is every other thing there is, from mice to galazies.

As a result of a Omnivoracious blog recommendation, I bought "Bossypants" by Tina Fey and "Unfamiliar Fishes" by Sarah Vowel but we haven't begun them yet.  The recommendation said that both are funny but that "Unfamilar Fishes" is quieter.

I am feeling that I need another immersion in something Buddhist or Zen-ish but I haven't quite decided what yet.  There is a growing crop of younger American writers/teachers/practitioners on the subject.  I have something by Ezra Bayda, who I know is a teacher who studied with Charlotte Beck, a writer I have benefited from.  Elizabeth Hamilton and Barry Magid are others.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby