Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fantasizing introducing wonderful to great

I guess we all have separate segments to our lives.  The biggest segment in mine has been the great portion of my life that I have been married.  But there are other parts, too.  My childhood was spent in the company of my sister, so some of my early years included people and events that she and I can both remember.  I went to an all-male high school but there are some now-mature men who shared my homeroom and our experiences together.  Some of my college years were shared with my wife but some were not.  The long period of college teaching was shared with quite a few colleagues, some of whom are still alive.

As the notable 50-year mark passes, various celebrations and memorial events help me re-connect with people who shared one of those life periods with me.  As I have gotten a chance to be with some stand-out people again, I feel a little sad that one of the loving, witty, bright people from one segment stand little chance of really getting to know and enjoy someone of the same high caliber from a different period.  I am doubtful that I can afford to house two or three of the best people from one period in a lodge somewhere with two or three from a different time, all carefully chosen by me to be new and lovely assets to each other's lives.  Even if I could scrape up the funds, I won't be able to convince the likely candidates for new friendships to re-arrange their schedules and leave their families and surroundings for a sojourn with strangers.  If I were to really apply every persuasive tool and get everyone I mentally nominate to participate, a mere month or even six might just be too short a time for the solidity and joy I feel to emerge.  


Oh, well.  I guess I will just continue to fantasize about the fun that might be available in a get-together.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby