Sunday, May 1, 2011

Music therapy

For years in which we raised our children, we had no dishwasher.  Having Lynn do the cooking while I did the cleanup worked well.  We did have a stereo in the kitchen and I made a point to listen to music I like while washing dishes.

Recently, I have seen several comments about the mood-enhancing effects of music, such as this Posit Science blog post.  For me, good music mostly means classical music and opera.  The author of "Civilisation",Sir Kenneth Clark, a noted art historian among other things, says in that book, that no one could have predicted the rise of grand opera.  I listened to How to Understand and Enjoy Opera by Robert Greenberg but even before that, I found that the arias were quite uplifting and memorable.  

I know there is a field of music therapy but I don't know much about the subject.  I found over and over that indeed listening to the right music lifts my mood quickly and efficiently.  Music therapy or not,  listening to what I like does me good. Not long ago, we put nearly all of our CD's on iPods, one for me, one for her and one for the house.  Both of our cars have cassette players in them.  Inexpensive electronic cassettes fit in the players and connnect to the iPods.  A USB cord keeps the iPod charged in the car while it is playing.  

Most of the time, Mozart is good, whether it is the Marriage of Figaro or his German Dances.  Arias by Luciano Pavarotti, Kire Te Kanawa, Joan Sutherland, and Beverly Sills are wonderful.  Schubert's Songs for Male Chorus, the Vienna Boys Choir singing folk songs from around the world or this album by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole E Ala E are about as far as we go into popular music.  Sure, some Ella Fitzgerald and all of Abba, a little Marty Robbins and a little Linda Ronstadt.  This dates us, I'm sure, but that's ok.  The right music is what we are after.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby