Sunday, December 15, 2013

Passing moments of possession

Sure, Christmas is coming and we try to find gifts to give those we love.  We want to make them happy and we have ourselves gotten lots of gifts in the past.  We have?  What have we gotten?


I realize that I am one of the guys who has trouble remembering what he had for breakfast. So, I don't feel bad that I can't remember what I got for Christmas last year or nearly any year for that matter.  I do remember a little movie projector I got when I was in about the 4th grade.  Even though I have heard of threats of a lump of coal as a kid's only gift, a sort of punishment for being bad during the year, I know I never received such a gift.  Not even during the days when we heated our house with coal and it was indeed precious, even though as a kid, I didn't appreciate it for the valuable substance it was.


I not only never got a lump of coal, I never failed to get several gifts.  I am confident I would remember not getting anything.  But a bike, a shirt, a watch, a book were all things I once had.  Over time, they must have gotten lost, thrown out, given to charity or something.  I don't have them now.  It seems like a good meal.  Yummy, pleasing, delightful but temporary.


Ok, I do realize that just about everything is temporary but applying time limits to my possessions is a new concept for me.  I can see how temporary a new computer, a new car, a new anything actually is.  When I think about it, the new item is thrilling but only for a few days.  After that, I have gotten used to it being around.  I have begun to learn to use it, to incorporate it into my day and I don't notice it as new and exciting any longer.


We have all heard "You can't take it with you", meaning that at death, your beloved ranch, your dearest horse, your wonderful saddle and your best rifle (or whatever possessions mean the most to you) cannot be carried with you at death.  I think that is true but more nearly in time, you can't carry them with you when you move to the city, when they wear out or when you decide to sit at your computer more of the time.  Despite your best efforts mentally and emotionally, your feelings of thrill and excitement will fade and you will look around and ask "What else?  What's next?"



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby