Friday, December 13, 2013

Rehaping myself

Since humans are time-bound, it makes sense to review, once in a while, "laws" and understandings considered "timeless", in science or just in me.  As our conceptions of ourselves and the world change, we can see things differently.


Carol Dweck ("Mindset") and her concepts: fixed and growth  Do I see myself as having this ability?  Have I a characteristic or ability or flaw that I wish I didn't?  Do I lack something I wish I had?  OR can I grow to be different, more what I want to be? Less of what I don't want to be? Can I grow into a different way of being?


Robert Ornstein ("Multimind") sees basic policies that the mind uses to police incoming streams of experience and try to make sense of it:

  • Recency - what was I just doing?

  • Comparison - is this our biggest pumpkin ever?

  • Vividness - is this extra-real in some sense? Especially exciting?

  • Meaning - does this mean I will be rich?  Eaten alive?


Michael Merzenich ("Soft-Wired") sees our brain plasticity as a two-way street, the "use it or lose it" arrangement where what we do often and recently, with attention, is what we are prepared to do again, quickly and easily.


Wray Herbert's ("On Second Thought") heuristics, including familiarity (habit) - what I adopt as my path, my habitual view of myself, life and others is likely to be what I continue to hold unless I am aware of my habit and focus on retraining myself

Meditation and mindfulness are handy tools, allowing us to notice, sense, taste and modify our thoughts, habitual feelings, reactions and activities.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby