Monday, December 9, 2013

Knock yourself out and translations

One day our Spanish teacher said that the lesson for the day was going to be ways to say Yes in Spanish.  I thought "Si, that should be easy".  But then I started thinking.  We say "Right!"  "Couldn't agree more" "That's the way it looks to me, too" "I second the motion" and many other things to say "Yes".


I hear a teen-ager reluctantly agree with a proposal by saying "Knock yourself out".  I guess the picture is me doing what I want with no obstacle to very complete completion of the move from her.  Still, the picture involves something that sounds violent and I am not charmed by it.


Again, with a little nastiness, people say "Eat your heart out".  I see myself gnawing at my chest, trying to get through the skin and ribs to sink my teeth into my heart.  That doesn't sound like fun.  Yes, he has curly hair that is much curlier and cuter than my going-bald-head.  But when I am urged to eat my heart out over his good looks, my ever-ready aggressive side wants to react strongly with a punch or a bite.  I prefer the approach taken by my 5 yr. old greatgranddaughter.  I said to her "You are looking very pretty today" and she purred "I know".

 

Just about the funniest book I know is "Big Trouble" by Dave Barry.  One of the several bad guys is bored and does not enjoy tracking down the prey he has been assigned to eliminate.  His partner and he are on a stake-out.  It is hot and boring.  All the poor fellow can say is "You got that right."  His co-criminal says "This is boring."  "You got that right."  "I don't like this place." "You got that right."  "I'll be glad when this is over and we can go home."  Yep:"You got that right."


There are many ways to say something.  A newly invented expression can be charming.  It can be fun to say but it can quickly become dull.  


It has been fun bringing you this message.  No need to thank me: no problem.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby