Friday, December 6, 2013

Lend me your ears

Shakespeare's version of Mark Anthony asked for those around him to "lend him their ears", meaning that he wanted them to listen to his speech.  I ask Lynn and others near me to lend me their ears, too.  I wish I could actually borrow their ears and use them in the way they serve their owners. I test out with adequate hearing for low-pitched sounds but high pitches don't register.  I was told several years ago that I could no longer hear sounds in the range that a mosquito makes when he or she is close to my ear.  They told me with sad enough faces that I figured there was more to come.  There was: initial consonants are pitched quite high, too.  I was told that I was going to be missing them.  I have been.  I have trouble telling whether you said "Sad" or "Pad".  One word doesn't may not matter all that much but it can.  


The failure to hear well that I am most conscious of actually sounds like garbled speech.  A character who matters in a story is leaving the scene, unhappy with what just happened and mutters.  At least that is what I hear.  Others watching with me hear a message, one that is important to the story.  It is a muttered threat or a muttered confession of desire but I don't know what the devil was said.  I ask the others "What did he say?"  and they tell me.  I am almost always glad I did ask and am grateful for the relayed message.  It matters to the understanding of the story.  Whether I am with family, close friends or strangers, I find asking what was just said results in help, quickly given.  I am grateful for the loan of more sensitive cochlea than I have.  Hope it doesn't get worse.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby