Saturday, April 25, 2015

Weepy

I got weepy yesterday and I got weepy today.  Both were the result of shows, dramas with actors and actresses and real people showing real emotion.  I am reading serious stuff and I know that there is plenty of pain, hunger, fear and loneliness but there is also joy, good thinking and good appreciations of the blessings of life.


Yesterday, a retired actor, director and professor of drama gave a review of American musicals.  He concentrated on The Music Man.  The entire show and many of its separate songs are on YouTube.  It was more than 10 years between Meredith Wilson's getting the idea for the show and its opening.  Of course, a show has a history and that history contains strong efforts, lucky twists and turns. The background setting in rather conservative small-town Iowa and its story of various ambitions and worries and thrills is one of my favorites.  I always like quiet victories and small triumphs.


We heard about Jerome Robbins who was often especially difficult to work with.  One person said,"He refused to take "yes" for an answer" in that when you did exactly what he asked for, he still wouldn't be satisfied.  He watched a song and dance and pronounced it inadequate, in need of revision, even though "it was quite good and I liked it."  It was revised by writers and choreographers and rehearsed and Robbins was ready to watch the new version.  He did and said he liked the original version better!  Of course, a person could be weepy thinking of the self-restraint needed in such a case to forestall murder.


Today, I heard about a classroom flash mob performance that surprised the teacher yesterday.  My source said the event went something like this one on YouTube.  I have seen a couple of excellent flash performances where the participants suddenly show up some place but this one is my favorite.  Whether you see struggle or hear arresting music, any sort of performance or story can touch your emotions.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby