Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mindfulness, schmindfulness

Ever been to a three ring circus and find it difficult to catch all the acts going on at once?  That happens in this complicated, fast-moving world all the time, in the circus and out.  Mark Epstein wanted some toast:

I had been craving toast for several days. The food had been remarkably good, but I had gotten it in my head that what was lacking was fresh-baked bread. It didn't seem like such a big thing to wish for— the vegetarian meals just needed this one little touch to feel complete. On this morning, six days into my stay, the bread finally appeared. Granted, it was gluten free and made from chickpea flour, but it still looked good. I cut myself a slice, toasted and buttered it, took a little bit of apricot jam, made myself a cup of tea, and settled silently into my seat to relish it all. I was very mindful and lifted the toast to my lips to take a bite. It was delicious. I chewed and tasted and swallowed and noticed how I wanted the next bite before I had completely finished the first. When the sweetness faded and the remnants of toast turned to cardboard in my mouth, I was ready for more. I waited, though, remembering the instructions for mindful eating: Finish each mouthful completely before taking the next bite. I have only a vague recollection of what happened next. I believe my mind wandered to the laundry I had to do the next morning. There wasn't that much to think about anymore, but that didn't seem to be stopping me. Would I do one load or two? Could I put them both in at the same time? My wife would be happy if I came home with all my clothes washed. The next thing I remember was that my toast was gone. "Who ate my toast?" my mind cried as I stared at my empty plate.


Epstein, Mark (2013-08-15). The Trauma of Everyday Life (pp. 104-105). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.


As far as I am concerned, it is good to be aware of both dangers and beauties in this world.  External and internal things may need noting and attending to.  Practicing concentration and practicing observing the stream of thoughts and feelings does tend to lead to greater awareness of how and what the mind is doing.


Still, finding that in a moment of deep satisfaction, the mind has begun to anticipate doing the laundry instead of concentrating further on enjoying one's toast does not seem to be a sure sign of attending to a wrong or inferior subject.  Sure, if you meant to get a few more grains of pleasure from toast and jam but you forgot, well, heck! However, it is worthy of debate among a dozen philosophers as to whether keeping one's attention here or there is better in the long run.


Parents and teachers try to remain open to various ways of thinking as explained in my post of Dec. 6, 2010.  One person may choose to relish good bread while another chooses to ponder the laundry.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby