Thursday, March 6, 2014

Two themes contrasting and supporting each other

What do you advise an energetic friend who has the feeling he would like to be a new person?  I see two directions: “go for it” (supports his idea)  or “you are ok as you are”  (says the effort is unnecessary).  Anyone can get the feeling that still being the same person with the same accumulated habits and history that he had a year ago, a decade ago, all his life, is tiresome.  Or, pathetic: he should be better by now, shouldn’t he?

Maybe.  Who is to say?  He described dreaming of being so transformed that friends and relatives quietly ask: what has happened to you?  “You seem so different now.”  He pictures radiating a sort of quiet and calmness that is noticeably different.


I have heard and read opinions that the East (India, China, Japan, Korea, Myanmar, Vietnam, Thailand, basically southeast Asia) and the West (Europe and North America and Australia) have two different emphases in their thought and history.  I am very confident that the idea that they differ and differ in the way traditionally mention can be debated.  Good evidence pro and con can be laid out.  Still, regardless of their sources, the two emphases are said to be something like Calm Awareness for the East and Action for the West.  


The Yin-Yang symbol is a good one for the Chinese inspired concept of differences contrasting, yet supporting each other.  Since my friend radiates masculinity, I wonder if he might enjoy “Excellent Women” by Barbara Pym.  I asked a scholarly friend for recommendations of books that emphasize the life of a quiet, happy woman.  My guess is that women of a certain type may exemplify a quiet, happy life best.  She suggested “In Celebration of Small Things” by Sharon Cadwallader.  She also thought of “Gift from the Sea” by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and the books about Miss Marple and her quiet and patience.


A friend said that he had always gotten the idea that a person should “just jump your ass in there” and work at solutions.  I believe those words paint a good picture of the Western approach: Act!  Sure, think it out.  Stay alert but commit yourself.  Take action.


Of course, the “East” understands and takes action and the “West” understands and uses contemplation, patience and acceptance.  Clearly, our lives are richer and more balanced when we are in touch with both themes and make good use of each.  It seems to me that I will never be a quiet happy woman but as I age, I do get quieter, partly because I have no choice.  Partly, I need to rest more often.  But the biggest thing is that I have found I can really taste the good parts of my life better with the right use of quiet.  I am one of those who can bolt down a really delicious dessert, only barely tasting it, only barely savoring it and appreciating it.  When I slow down and still myself, I can count and enjoy each blessing much more fully.  That is also when I hear the quiet tones of beauty all through my life and miss less.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby