Thursday, March 13, 2014

What do YOU want to do?

I am in the habit of thinking that I don’t in general have strong preferences.  I usually tell my wife that we can do what she would like to do.  The other day, she turned the table on me and asked me very explicitly what I wanted to do.  Yikes!  I don’t know.  I found that it isn’t so easy to say firmly and reliably what I want to do.  I - I - I can’t answer.  Can I think about it?  All reactions I look down on when she gives them.


I know that she likes to visit state parks and other places that feature nature.  For me, nature, schmature.  As I have said to her, lakes, trees, sky - I’ve seen them already.  Yes, we have had some fun times in parks, state, national and other.  But when she talks of a visit to one, I am pretty sure I hear a distinct sound of happy expectations.  They seem to settle on her naturally.  With me, it is the same old nature again: skunks, bears, mud.


But now, I am wondering if she is making a heroic and successful effort, one I have to learn.  Maybe she musters enthusiasm for a trip, a visit, a museum, an attraction only with effort and concentration and openness.  Maybe my normally grumpy, male, skeptical reaction is cowardly or lazy.  Maybe I should muster my strength, marshal my inner zest, manage my desires and set our course a little more often.


What do you think?  If you are a woman who reads this blog, I don’t need to hear from you.  I know you are going to take her side.  I know you are going to point out the man’s duty to care for a couple’s mutual adventures as much or more than the woman does.  I know you are going to say that of course I haven’t been doing my part and that such behavior is just what you always see from male partners.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby