Sunday, March 2, 2014

Enjoying little dramas and challenges

Whether its from a tablet that stubbornly won’t connect to the wifi signal or a cold that won’t go away, life sends little challenges, failures and difficulties.  Some grow into real dangers and problems but many are resolved or simply melt away, given a little time.  Often, the little time feels too damned long and throughout the irritant seems to mock our ability to control our lives and selves.


But then comes the day, E V E N T U A L L Y, when the problem is solved or worked around and what a pleasant relief!  What a wonderful life without that particular problem!


I realize I actually have little control over some of the pests.  I mean that’s why I label them “pest”.  But there are a few tricks that help lessen their degree of bother (D.O.B.):

  1. Keep track on the number of days a pest has been on your case.

  2. Keep track of each incidence of bother: “date, time, pest, notes” are good headings for a spreadsheet or chart

  3. When a pest leaves, dissolves, is solved, or overcome, note the victory.  Put on your calendar for the following day something like “small pest absence reward”.  That next day, give yourself something small but fun.

  4. Use Martin Seligman’s method, tested in many of his classes on positive psychology, of keeping a pad or notebook of three good things from each day.  I found the more I do this, the less surprised I am that the day had more than three things happen that deserve to be noted.  In fact, a day with only three good things is a rarity.


It is an odd feeling of a tiny loss, accompanied by a tiny bit of gratitude for its gift, when some irritant leaves.  I feel an internal salute to it for its contribution, for the level of distraction it gave me, much like the gratitude for the plant or animal I am eating.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby