Saturday, February 22, 2014

I'm not sure

I know we live in a scientific age but I see that I live my life relying on hearsay.  I have been to Washington, D.C. and seen the Capitol building and the White House.  I guess it was DC and the real Capitol and White House.  Sure looked like the pictures labeled that way.


I have heard the name of the governor of my state but I have never actually met him.  I have heard that he is the man who was elected but I didn’t have a chance to verify the votes.


My doctor tells me that the blood analysts found my blood to be ok but I didn’t actually meet any of them or have them tell me directly that.  I know where the analysts hang out but I don’t know how to verify that they do their work correctly.


When I send a check to a firm that I owe, I guess it gets delivered properly but I haven’t verified it did.  I assume they would get in touch if I hadn’t paid my bill and they aren’t bothering me.  Well, I assume they aren’t bothering me.  I assume the phone, US mail, email and streets are all ways they could get in touch.

 

Having to verify as with conclusive evidence is tricky.  Seems to me to be a matter of persuasion.  You show me a badge and a picture.  No, the badge looks like a toy and the picture is askew in the plastic.  I am not persuaded.


There are many books about “trust” and how business proceeds on trust.  I think it is fair to say that it does but it also proceeds on taking risks.  I bet that you are who you say you are and that your confirming documents are genuine.  I’m just not sure!



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby