Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Acrobatic and energetic conversation openers or responses

Take a commonly uttered phrase:

(1) Good morning!

Twist it, change it, extend it… (remember Malcolm Gladwell’s point about conducting impromptu: no denying, only going with the flow)

  • Do you think it is better than yesterday?
  • How could I make it excellent?
  • Yes, and this is the 9th one in a row for me.

(2) How is it going?

  • I realize this is top secret information but how is it going?
  • I used to ask How are things going? but I’m switching to When are things going? just for fun.
  • I used to ask How are things going? but I’ve switched to How are things stopping?, I mean with our icy roads and all.
The goal is not to win or to stymie, just to get to new conversational places that are pleasantly different and differently pleasant.  My theory (based on anecdotal evidence only) is that such language work can helps relationships and minds stay in good shape, flexible and lively.  If you accidentally frighten or annoy the person, try explaining you were speaking to your imaginary friend or you mistook your listener for your brother, who is used to your antics.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby