Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gems from the day

I have seen some interesting things on Twitter today and though I could mention them.  The URL below the bold title can be copied and pasted in your browser for more info.  If I make them live links, the Google software will stop my message as spam.

Why Japan Likes Kentucky Fried Chicken for Christmas
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-dance-connection/201205/fight-fair

99% of the Japanese are not Christian but they get excited about Christmas as a holiday, decorate and celebrate with Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Result of smart ad campaign in the 70"s.

How to Fight Fair
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-dance-connection/201205/fight-fair

Psychology Today has an absolute forest of blogs, written by experienced psychologists and counselors.  Harriet Lerner is one of the more famous ones. This post by her on marital fighting is basic but well-written and funny.  

Calls from my secretary (that's me, myself all alone) - I want to be able to tell my Google Voice connection to phone me at a given time on a given day to remind me

Prof. Steven Novella - Your Deceptive Mind course
http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=9344

It can get a little tiresome listening to a very long list of tricks we and others play or try to play on our thinking.  Still, he says some helpful things.  One of the most helpful for me was the clear presentation of how conspiracy thinking sometimes works:  I think there has been a local conspiracy against me.  You point out some evidence that ought to support my idea that is missing.  Aha!  Someone I had not suspected before must also be part of the conspiracy!  I wouldn't have thought it before but now that I think of it, is is obvious.

New apocalypse needed  Today is Dec. 21, the shortest day of the year.  From now on, the day gets longer and the night shrinks.  Today is the day that some think the ancient Mayans had predicted the world would end.  Since it didn't (mostly, unless there is a conspiracy to make it look like it didn't), we need a new apocalypse.  "@VictorianLondon", a Twitter name, suggests a future date in 2016 on which we expect the world to be eaten by a giant duck.  Works for me.

Treatment by computer - There is the talk on TED that I mentioned where a person suspected of suffering from incipient Parkinson's disease can be checked by a special computer with a phone call in which the computer analyzes the action of the caller's vocal chords.  Today on Twitter, a New Zealand report on computer counseling for depressed teens says it seems to work reasonably well.

Hashtags in Twitter - I have yet to finish my elementary book on using Twitter.  I get a lot of fun from reading remarks and references from people and sources (New York Times, Scientific American, etc.) that I admire.  I have learned that names or handles are marked by the @ sign but themes are marked by hashtags, #.  I haven't really started paying attention to them and their use but I may.  I can usually count on an hour of computing with Twitter now and doubt I can comfortably do much more.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby