Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Not for fortune, fame or followers

I am interested in people doing things for purposes other than money or fame.  I tend to think of activities such as painting or sculpting or other art work.  If the person is not trying to make money, the work won't be advertised and it won't be for sale.  

Working for fame or audience is a murkier subject.  People may simply want followers or fans.  I read recently that there are organizations who will sign many followers to your Facebook or Twitter account or some other social account for a fee.  If you want to impress someone with your popularity, you might use their services, I guess.  When I first started writing this blog, I thought I was putting words on the internet and whoever wanted to look at them, could do so.  I thought I was indifferent.  Then, I found out that having people read and comment is quite motivating.  Besides, I had to ask myself if I didn't want readers, why not just put the writing in a drawer?

Having some comments on my writing made it much more interesting, whether they are supportive or not.  Sometimes, the objections or additions are the best part.  Almost all the time, the positive reactions are very short and general.  I have been quite aware that I am not trying to sell anything, not even the point of view I use in a post.  I may hold opposite opinions or further details that don't show up in the post.  Of course, I try to be aware of what I have already written about and what I have previously said but with 1246 posts, it is not possible to stay completely consistent with myself.  

I guess we all have a tendency to think that what an author writes is what the author believes.  But that may not be the case.  The point of view on the page is static while the author's mind moves along through life.  It is entirely possible that what I wrote four years ago is not what I would write today.  

The blog has been up since March 29, 2008 and has been viewed a total of 17, 238 times.  That works out to a post on 74% of the days.  However, in the last two complete years, there was a post 93% and 98% of the days.

I try to keep an eye on the topics that arise in my life and write about them.  As some mathematician said of applied vs. theoretical math, staying close to reality keeps one from drying up in abstract thought.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby